Wednesday, May 3, 2017

WANTING TO LEARN WHAT I WANT TO TEACH

I remember that much of the failure I got in medical school was with the renal modules.  In first year until the end, I got a complete renal failure in all of the examinations.  As much as I tried reading and absorbing it, and thinking that I understood it, I failed the examination.

As such, I made it a career to become a nephrologist partly because I wanted to conquer these failures.  But a bigger part why I became a nephrologist despite the failure in the basic sciences is that I loved the way the patients responded to renal treatment in the clinics.  Ang the biggest reason why I went into Nephrology is that during the last year of my residency, my mother went into chronic dialysis.

Theoretical Nephrology was never easy for me.  I failed all the written examinations in medical school, residency, and my first Nephrology Board Examination.  I excelled in seeing the patients and did well in the oral examinations and revalida given by consultants.  However, I believe I have prevailed and am happy with my career because of the following:

First, I really want to become a general physician and a nephrologist particularly because I want to be able to provide care to other patients the way this care has been provided for my mother.  I think that this very deep and desire helped me to finish this difficult path where I met a lot of mini failures along the way.  Also, prolonging life and improving the quality of life of the patients was very important.

Second, the environment was very supportive.  Although the topics were very hard, the people who were teaching were very kind and encouraged me to persevere.  Each of my mentors told me of the challenges that they faced.  When they finished training, they are very generous to share the benefits that they have reaped and promised that once we finished, we will be able to reap the same benefits.  Currently, my then mentors who are now colleagues are very helpful in helping each one advance in one’s career. 

Third, the topic was something I really liked.  I was fascinated by renal physiology, and how it affected all the systems.  Though difficult to explain (until now), I was fascinated by the electrolytes, the logic and the mathematical part of the theory. 

Fourth, I enjoyed how nephrologists are also educators.  They are very active in wanting to improve curricula in their respective societies.  They are trainers in their institutions.  And this is similar to who I think I am.

Lastly, I believe that I endeavor to teach nephrology to the residents and the students because I think it is beautiful.  Since I found the topic to be very difficult, I want to make a way to find it easier for other students.  And also, I want to serve as an example that I have failed so many times at each level, yet I am where I want to be. 

As such, I find myself in the training institution of my hospital and the head of the continuing medical education committee of our society.  I am utilizing camaraderie with other nephrologists and trainees to facilitate learning as well.  However, this motivation is not really selfless.  I endeavor to teach because I don’t want to become stagnant in what I know.  I think that ultimately, teaching is a way to keep sharp and learning some more. 


Teaching is a way for learning never to stop, and as a closet nerd, this is how I want life to continue to be.  It is very exciting! J

No comments:

Post a Comment