Tuesday, February 28, 2017

the struggle is real part 2

Today it happened again.

Today, I was given a WHOLE red ribbon chocolate roll by a grateful patient, and carbonara fetuccine pasta with iced tea by a medical representative, and a bag of peanuts care of a secretary.

At breakfast this morning, I was given 3 cupcakes lovingly baked by my sister and my niece. 

Yesterday, I was given a huge pack of multiple flavored ferreros (my favorite!) by the grand daughter of a patient.  

I am thankful for them and really appreciate their tokens of gratitude.  I remember thinking when I was younger and decades back, ‘Ang swerte naman ni Tito and Tita (Doctor!)!  Ang dami nilang food and its free!”

However, now that I am in that position, the struggle is real!  Very real!

I find myself walking on the road to diabetes as walked on by my mother, her siblings and our other relatives before them.  I have seen this future in a lot of the patients that I have dialyzed.  I want to get off the road, have tried doing so by exercise.

But I am failing in the diet department.

I see that this notion of food being a token of love is present in my family, among my patients and my colleagues.  When I stand receiving that cake or that box of chocolates, I receive that love.

As a citizen of the third world country, I want to save food, or finish it. 

But how do you gracefully turn the calories down to get out of that road to diabetes? 

Suggestions anyone?


1 comment:

  1. By doing the egg-dyspepsia-omeprazole diet! or can we ask Love to lipo us? Sabay tayo! We need short cuts!

    ReplyDelete