Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Soul Joy

REFLECTION QUESTION: How are you using the gifts God has blessed you with? 

I think God has blessed me with the following, my core gifts, so to say:

1. Teaching heart - I think that this has been helping me in my current position as consultant in teaching hospitals and in medicine schools. I enjoy myself immensely and find myself being forced to sharpen and update myself. 

2. Healing hands - Doctor. Need i say more? 

3. Bringing people together - in my circle of friends, I find that I am often the one who invites people out.  (I don't know if this is a gift of single-blessedness?) call it my introvertedly social nature (if such a concept exists, but i am sure that my friends can attest that it does!).  However, i have to be careful at not being to needy. Nor compromise myself in the company of others. I must try to be independent. Good thing god gave me supportive friends and great friends who encourage me to be the best that i can be.

4. Empathy - I studied for years on end to become a doctor, but i realized much of the success a doctor has is due to his empathy to patients.  Call in chika based medicine.  I hope this brings me more patients in my pool. :) 

5. Musical spirit - I have been a choir member since grade school and I miss it so.  Any ideas for singing opportunities?

I think I am doing well with God's blessing to me of listening to people and wanting them to feel better! 4/5 isn't so bad! 

I went to a retreat recently and a great speaker DD spoke of soul joy.  This is the joy that they say we feel not because of our achievements, but because of the simple things around us.  Examples are what we feel when wee see a child smiling or when we see a shooting star coming by.  The simple things in life.

DD, went on to day that we are where god called us to be when we feel soul joy everyday.  At that time, I had a sudden flashback in my head of a visit I did to one of the dialysis units I had.  

It was a long time since I visited that shift of dialysis.  When I went inside the room, I saw a patient I have not seen in weeks on end.  I  waved to her excitedly.  All of the other patients within my line of vision thought that I was waving to them.  Hence they all waved back at me excitedly.  There I was in the HD unit, feeling like a celebrity .  But I was witnessing the simple joys of doing rounds and having a doctor patient relationship.

Other than that, I get to watch the dialysis patients ongoing treatment with visits from friends, relatives.  They must talk and chat. I see patients helping each other out however they can.  I see patients who are slow to warm up and very quiet, and eventually talking and smiling at me.

And then I get paid to see this soul joy phenomenon, and help out humanity even a little.

Then I realize that I am in the right place.  Even if it took 13 years of hard work to get here.

I am where God wanted me to be.  Finally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment